Catron County Fair
CATRON COUNTY FAIR RANCH RODEO
Superintendent: Leisil Luera 575-538-1582
Please follow signs posted for Ranch Rodeo check in
Running Iron Branding---7 minutes
Time starts when first member crosses chalk line.
- All steers will be at North end of arena
- Entire herd of steers are to stay on North side of line provided
- No loping in or out of herd .
- Cut two steers out of herd. HORN catches only
- Steers need to be heeled by both feet only and branded. If one leg caught there will be a 5 second penalty. NO PANTIHOSES OR HIGH HOCKS
- Steers must be branded on the left hip.
- Illegal loops include: front leg, head, half head with front foot, loop cannot travel thru the body to catch hind feet, including panty hose and high hock
- Both steers can be roped at the same time if team chooses to do so.
Time will stop when all ropes are off of second steer.
Wild Horse Catching and Mugging--6 minutes
Time starts when first roper enters the round pen to rope their horse.
- All horses must have all tack removed and turned out into round pen.
- Each team member must rope their own horse; the rope must be swung at least once. (Does NOT need to be hoola hand) Take horse back across line to saddle. Members may help each other saddle.
- Once all horses are saddled and all members mounted, they must rope and mug the steer in the arena by three legs.
- Anyone can rope the steer; do not need to have a designated roper.
- At least one head catch must be made within the first 3 minutes after all horses are saddled and members mounted.
- Head catch must not be harmful to cattle(illegal catches include nose caught in loop, legs caught in head loop, or single horn) Heels can not be roped and steer stretched, the steer must be mugged!
- Mugged steer must stay tied for 6 seconds and must not be tripped or knocked down, it must be mugged!
- All ropes must be off steers before time is called.
Hide Race and Trailer Loading--5 minutes
Time starts when cowboys on foot hand rope to dragger.
- Truck, trailer, and hide will be in the arena.
- Cones will be placed around truck, cones must not be knocked over or 30 second per cone will be added to time.
- A mounted member will be at South end of arena, South end of the line, holding two other members horses.
- Two members must ride the hide while being drug around the truck and trailer to their horses.
- Once entire team is mounted a steer will be released into the arena.
- Steer must be roped by Slick Horn Catch and drug into the trailer with ropes removed once loaded. Head catch must not be harmful to cattle. (same as above!)
- Two horses must be loaded in back of the trailer with all gates closed, including middle gate and "road ready".
- It is permissible to ride your horse into the trailer with the steer, as long as there are two horses in the back of the trailer and ready to go.
Time stops when team members are all loaded in the cab of the truck and doors shut.
** We ask that after each team completes their event to please follow their cattle back to the stripping chutes.
Any portions of any events that are unable to be completed will NOT disqualify a team or give them a NO TIME. It will simply add a time penalty to their overall time. Example: We expect each event to take half the allotted time. Therefore, if you are unable to mug your steer--add 3 minutes, steer not loaded in the trailer--add 3 minutes.
All contestants MUST wear long sleeve western shirts, cowboy hat and boots at all times in the arena. Hats cannot be intentionally knocked off. Chaps and Leggings are optional.
Please keep in m ind that this rodeo is for the enjoyment of our contestants and spectators, and is a family event. We are representing our heritage and way of life and should do so with respect and manners. If any member has a discrepancy on ruling or questions, only the team captain may speak to the judges. NO profanity is allowed.
Proper handling of livestock and horses is expected, and any unnecessary mistreatment of stock will result in disqualification. This includes the truck and trailer as well. Any contestant found to be intoxicated before or during rodeo will be disqualified. Save it till after the rodeo or the day before!
If any person has any complaint at any time, $100 will need to be given to a judge or person in charge. The complaint will be discussed at the end of the rodeo. If the complaint is found to be true the he/she will get the $100 back. If the complaint is unfounded, then that person's $100 will go towards the event.